Monday, June 20, 2011

How about a cheesecake w/o the "cheesecake" pan?

Well, everyone wants to know how I get the cheesecake out of the pan so I'm just going to post the whole thing start to finish!

Well, this is a cowboy boot with a Mexico looking thing on the side that will be discarded (eeerrr ate) later.  .  . I spray the pan with Pam and because of the funny shape of the pan I have to cut pieces of parchment paper to get it mostly covered.  In this case parchment paper IS your friend!  I also line the sides of the pan using Pam to hold it in place and I spray a light coat over the parchment paper after I get it all lined, it kinda helps things stick together. . .

Then I make the crust.  For this cake I used 2 sleeves of Oreos and 1 stick of butter.
Grind the Oreos

Pour the butter in the grinded Oreos and mix until it is all buttery

Pour the crust into the pan and mush it all out, in this case I  have a few holes but it is on the part I'm cutting off so I wasn't worried about it. . .

Bake the crust at 350 for about 10 minutes.  Just enough to set it so it doesn't run away when you pour the filling on top.

Now for the cheesecake filling. . .

Cream Cheese!  5 packages for this cake

5 Eggs

Here's where it gets tricky. . . I don't usually measure stuff I just start adding.  But I think I used about 1 cup of brown sugar
AND

2 cups of white sugar

About 5 tablespoons of sour cream


A little salt

Some vanilla

and about 5 tablespoons of all purpose flour

Mix the cream cheese until it is good and smooth, add the sugars and mix well, add the salt, vanilla, sour cream, and flour and mix good, then add the eggs one at a time and mix just until it is all incorporated.  Do not over mix the eggs, I've been told that contributes to the cake cracking.

Pour the mixture over the crust being careful not to get it between the parchment paper on the side of the cake and the pan. . .

Put it into a bigger pan and add hot water.  I have learned that a hot water bath is the #1 key in keeping the cake from cracking.  Well that and not cooking it to hot and to long.  Oh and not putting it in the frig until it is completely cooled!

Cook it at about 315 for oh I don't know until it is done and doesn't jiggle.  Maybe 1 to 1.5 hours.

UnPanning. . . After it is completely cool I put it in the frig and let it get cold.  It is better and easier to unpan when it is very cold or frozen!  Run a little HOT water in the sink and sit the pan down in it to loosen the butter that is solidified on the bottom. . . Run a knife around the edges if it needs it.  Dry the bottom of the pan off and get a sheet pan or something flat and cover it with wax paper.  (I forgot the wax paper on this one)  Put the flat object on top of the cake pan and invert it you may have to tap a little to get it to loosen but it is usually pretty easy.  Peel the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake and put a board on top of the bottom of the cake and reinvert it so the top is up.  (I normally do that on the cake board or cake plate I'm going to use.)  Then you are ready to "decorate" if need be.

I forgot to take pictures of it before I cut the circle thing off but here it is before adding the good stuff. . .

I use caramel ice cream topping, pecans, and melted bakers chocolate and load it up!


DONE!

P.S. (Yeah, this is long and crazy!  Cheesecake is very yummy but time consuming and kind of expensive to make!  But did I mention it was yummy???)

No comments:

Post a Comment