Saturday, June 11, 2011

Birthday Surprise!!!

Today is my birthday!  Hubby had told me last night that I had to be up, dressed, and ready at 10 am, but he didn't/wouldn't tell me why.  So, up at 9:30 am and ready to leave at 10. . . Before we walked out the door he threw me a bottle of Dramamine and said I might need it.  For several seconds I had a blank look on my face trying to figure out why. . . Then he said we were going SkyDiving!!!!!!!  I've always wanted to jump out of a plane but never figured I would. I immediately got a tummy ache and a bit nervous!  Wow, SkyDiving, I've always talked about it but talk is talk!  Talk is not doing. Talk is nothing.  So, I smiled a fake smile and went along, scared spitless! 
We drove over to the local airport and signed all the waivers and scary things saying we wouldn't sue if something bad happened and that we had no medical conditions and we had to weigh.  We had to tell them our real weight, yikes, that's no fun telling someone your *real* weight!  But I did it, I didn't want the parachute to be to small!!!  Then they hooked me into a harness and gave me a brief 2 minute explanation on what we were going to do and we waited on the plane. . .

 The plane ride up to 10K feet wasn't bad.  There was another guy who jumped at 6K feet.  It was kinda scary, they opened the door and slowed the plane down real slow and he jumped out.  I was thinking, no way I can't do that. . . But we still have 4K feet to go up so I prayed and talked myself back into it. . .
 Andy (I think was his name) is who my tandem partner was.  I think he has probably jumped 1000 times, he was very good, very professional, and super nice and calming!  And he didn't make fun of me when I screamed.  SCREAMED like a girl!!!!!!!  I still have a raw throat from the scream!  WOW, it was crazy, I just rolled out of an air plane.  A perfectly fine air plane!
 

 So, we tucked and free fell for what felt like forever, realistically it was probably less than 30-45 seconds.  (I'll probably have to hang this pic on the wall somewhere)
 Then he opened the chute and we floated for a few minutes.  Thankfully he did no crazy stuff (I kinda had a tummy ache).  He pointed out landmarks, let me steer, and then gave me landing instructions.  Since there was no wind on the ground we had to land with our legs out and not standing up.  So we "land skied".  That was fun, my feet were finally on the ground!
 Here is my sweet hubby and me! (these pics are kinda out of order but some are from my camera and some from the SkyDiving camera. . .
 Headed to the plane. . .
 J getting ready to go up.
 J didn't pay for the pics/video of him so the only ones I have of him are the ones I took. . . He said his favorite part was the free falling, where as my favorite was the floating after the chute came open and the landing. . .

I love this pic for some reason. 
So, so far that has been the adventure for our day!  Later this evening we are going to Clicks for steak and to the Pawnee Bill Wild West Show.  Should also be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment