Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Father's Day Tribute, The Corridor June 2017

Father’s Day
As I sit here and think about the topic of this article, fathers, grandfathers, uncles, or someone special, it is making me take a deeper look into the men who have impacted my life.

First, how do you put into words what father means? It is going to be a different answer for everyone you ask. For me, for my earthly father, it is dad or daddy. Thankfully my dad has always been a part of my life. If you look back at my article writing history you will see the many times that my dad is included in them. Dad did not make every ball game or school event while I was growing up. He often worked swing shift and was not able to make it, and sometimes he would rather go hunting than to a ball game, but that was okay with me. Sometimes I would have rather have gone hunting, too! So many of my childhood stories start with “my dad took me”.

Dad started taking me hunting with him when I was pretty young. I remember him tying me to a tree with some sort of pink string. That was way back before safety harnesses were popular, but I was pretty small and he was doing his job of protecting me. That was also before I was old enough to have a bow or gun and hunt myself, so I sat with him while he hunted. He took me fishing and golfing and taught me how to play dominoes. He still likes to take me hunting and fishing and I think it means more to me now than it did when I was younger. Getting to spend a few hours with my dad is something I will always cherish. He taught me what it means to work hard and to give a helping hand to others. He still is often doing for others instead of for himself or his wife.

My dad, Wendell Davenport, and Me. Shooting at the Annual Christmas Eve Skeet Shoot

“Daddy”, however, is a name I reserve those times that I need something. You’d think that at 29 years old and holding I wouldn’t need to use that term. . .but occasionally I still do and thankfully my daddy has always been there for me. He made several phone calls for me not to long ago looking for trees. Over the winter he drove the 45 miles to my house to help me haul hay. He has picked me up on the side of the road when a vehicle has broken down. Those are my “daddy” moments.

If you ask me if I have a perfect dad I will always answer no, absolutely not but he is just what I needed and that makes him perfect for me and I will always love and appreciate him.

When I got married, part of the deal was a new “Dad”. I have an amazing father-in-law. I think if you ask his kids if he is perfect they would say yes, as perfect as an earthly father can be. They will tell you he is the wisest, most Godly man they know. He is a man I am comfortable asking for help and doing things with. For more than eighteen years he has treated me as a daughter and I greatly appreciate that.

This is my Father-In-Law, Ben Husted. He is great! In this pic we had just finished working several hours pruning fruit trees! (Sorry Ben, this is not the best photo of us but it's the only one I could find. We'll have to make sure and take one on family vacation)
I have had two very different grandpas. One still living, who used to take me hunting and fishing, and camping. I have let life get too busy and don’t spend as much time with him as I should. The other passed away when I was in my early 20s who I have fond memories of taking me to junk auctions and to the café for breakfast at the ungodly hour of 6am. Both would let me put barrettes in their hair and make them look silly.

I have a host of uncles, male cousins, and male friends who have been a great influence on my life. Watching these men has showed me what I wanted in a husband, showed me how I needed to treat a husband, and how as a wife, I should expect to be treated.

The big question of Father’s Day is what do you get that special man in your life? Dad is expected to tell you what he wants, and there is an expectation that it will have a monetary value to it and it will be easy for you to click online order it and have it mailed to him without you ever having to personally interact with your dad. Skip that this year or if you feel obligated to buy something add to it!

I asked a friend Tyler, who has a six month old daughter and a 3 year old son what he wanted for Father’s Day, and he did not hesitate in his answer: time. He wants more time with his kids and he wants to create more memories with them. I think you will find that many dads do not want “stuff” for father’s day but will simply want time and memories.


Tyler and his son Adam and Daughter Sarah

Dads now days are not necessarily the sole provider in the family but a lot of times they are still the majority bread winner. When a dad spends forty plus hours a week working, sometimes swing shifts, sometimes out of town for days or weeks at a time he misses a lot, and when he is home he is tired. So, my suggestion for your Father’s Day gift this year is to plan something where you get to spend time with your dad. It doesn’t matter if you are a young child or a (roughly) 29 year old child like me. Cook his favorite meal and maybe play yard games or dominoes. The Corridor is also full of places to take dad and spend some time. Look at one of the many golf courses, lakes, bbq restaurants, parks, museums. What you do on Father’s Day is less important than who you do it with. Most dads want just a few hours of your time and it will be worth it to both of you.

For those of you with family too far away, make the phone call and tell your dad how special he is. I think you will ask just about anyone who has lost a father to death or otherwise and they will tell you all they want is time back with their dad so don’t put off those special times. Create lasting memories for you, your children, and your grandchildren. It will be worth it. In years to come you can sit and reflect on the time that you put barrettes in your grandpa or dad’s hair or painted his toe nails while you were playing beauty salon. It’s the memories that count.

*The next four pictures and tributes were all that made the magazine



Dad Randy Seaton and daughter Jennafer Seaton: He's an absolutely amazing man who has bent over backwards for my mom and us kids. He works his tail off to make sure we have what we need and want and he is always there when we need him. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through things I didn't think I would make it through that he was right there with me every step of the way helping me in any way he could and crying right there with me.




Dad Randy Brown and daughter Kamber Brown: My daddy, who has helpmed me get to the place I am today, has always supported our family even when it came to quiting his job and starting his own business to give us a better life. He is someone who would willingly give his shirt off his back if need be. I'm so proud to call him my dad and not just becauseof what he has done for me but also for our country as a USA Marine Veteran who spent time in the Gulf protecting our country.





Grandpa Jack Fick Sr and granddaughter Brandi Williams: My grandpa was the most honest, hardworking man I knew. He also loved to joke around! He would give someone his last $10 bill if they needed it. He was special to me. This picture, from my wedding, was one of his last outings before he passed away. Jack's daughter Marsha Laxton and Teresa Allen also commented this about their father. He taught us how to be a hard worker. I, Marsha, started out driving at 5 years old driving in a hay field. I loved my daddy so much I always wanted to be with him in the hay fields. He taught me how to work hard for what I wanted, but most of all he taught me how to love people. I still hear today stories about my dad. How good and hard worker he was. There was many young men that would try to out work my daddy but they didn't stand a chance. He enjoyed watching me play basketball as I grow up I can still hear his voice in the stands cheering me on. He was a great man that the town of Agra loved very much. I miss him still today. Love you daddy. Teresa says Jack was a special man, all his kids felt like we were his favorite! Never seen anyone be a better example of being a cheerful giver! Miss him everyday!





Dad Allen Jeffries and daughter Taylor Williams: I have the most loving, supportive, and fun dad out there! He has always had my back and made sure I chased my dreams growing up! I already thought the world of him and once my little girl was born, I saw a whole new side. He is such a great papa and I love seeing them both play, interact, and talk over FaceTime. He is such a hard worker and I'm so lucky to have him as my dad!

*The next pics and tributes I got after the deadline or there was not enough space, so they did not make the magazine but I wanted to share them here....



Kamber and Papa Larry Seaton: Then there is my Papa, someone who placed the love of music into my heart. He bought me my first guitar and sat in the floor with me teaching me cords all night, I remember dancing in the living room of their home or us just singing in the truck with him. My Papa was at every ball game or event he could make it too. What can I say I was extremely blessed with two amazing men, to watch and help me grow.
From Kelly Joe about Dad Larry Seaton: A lil girls first love is her daddy. It's who protects her and holds her and rocks her when she is sick. (My mom told me I never wanted her just my daddy). He chases away the monsters from beneath her bed. Most of all he loves her Mama. He is the Disney Prince come to life. He's the leg she hides behind when little and the hand she holds as she grows up and the last mans she will hold before she becomes a wife. He is her superman and hero. He is the man that sets the standard on how she as a woman, wife, mother and even a lover should be treated, respected, honored, spoiled and loved. He is what she searches for in every eye of a man that she meets. Those qualities, that heart, that love of his fellow man and God combined. and that soul. All that is good in the one man she has entrusted with her life. No matter 5 or 50 you will always be Daddy's lil girl.
My greatest example...storm
Season. Daddy was always on call and my birthday always meant storms. He had been gone numerous days restoring power. It was my 5th birthday and he took time to call and tell me happy birthday. I still remember sitting in the kitchen in pajamas on an old yellow rotary phone twirling the cord telling him I wanted a Holly Hobby Stove from Otasco in Prague and a pony. Later that night during the middle of my party he drove up in a CVEC service truck. In the front seat was a fully assembled stove(that I still have) and tied to the bumper was my very first horse, Tony. Yes this kind of man is rare. These standards are what I want for myself, my daughters and my niece.





From Carrie Delk: This man is tough, he is stern, he is gruff, strong and he has a heart of gold. I think that is what a dad should be. He has taught me about the kind of person I want to be. He has led by example in teaching me lessons of both, what to do and what not to do. He always has and continues to break his back everyday in order to provide for his family, always putting us before himself. My brother and I are very lucky to call him Dad!





From Billi Wright: So this is a picture of my Dad, my Father in law and my Husband. My Daddy is the best gift God ever gave me. He stepped into our lives and took on 4 children that weren't his as his own. He worked 100 hours a week most of the year to support us. Growing up I had never met a man that worked the way he did. He taught us what love really meant not to mention how to work for what you want out of life. I'm so thankful for that. By the grace of God I married a man that is just like him. He has been a great Daddy to me and the best Papa to my children. I owe him everything. My father in law was a mess. He was also a hard working man. I'm so thankful for the man he raised that became my husband.




Bobby and Kandice Taylor: My dad was my biggest encourager, supporter, listener, sounding board, rock, and first love. He was "my person." He made me feel like the most important person in the world. Although I only got 27 years with him, I probably felt more love than some people feel in a lifetime. I still feel as if he's looking out for me and I can't wait to see him again. His wings were ready, but my heart was not. Happy Father's Day, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment